Northland Emergency Services Trust (NEST)
Welcome to Northland Emergency Services Trust – providing Northland’s dedicated emergency helicopter rescue service.
Northland Emergency Services Trust (NEST) is a charitable trust established to provide a dedicated emergency helicopter rescue and air ambulance service for all Northlanders and beyond.
Your emergency rescue helicopters HELIMED 1, HELIMED 2 and HELIMED 3 operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, providing an air ambulance service for Northland residents and visitors – they fly to you when you need them most.
NEST and your Northland Electricity Rescue helicopters are proudly supported by generous sponsors and community donations . Our three emergency helicopters and dedicated team of professionals have been providing medical flights , air ambulance services, and search and rescue for 25 years.
Fast Facts about NEST
- The people of Northland own it
- The Board of Trustees comprises representatives from the health sector, the police, St John Ambulance, the Regional Council and the Northland community
- The aircrafts are exceptional; very safe, speedy and have long ranges
- Over 22% of flights carry two or more patients and over 42% of operatons are at night
- All our flights are operated with two pilots. This coupled with an IFR capability enables us to fly safely, even in extreme conditions
- NEST, Northland Health and Maori work closely together to ensure that cultural needs are being met
- Pilots and flight crews receive ongoing training in all of their areas of responsibility. Pilots also attend Flight Safety International for extensive flight simulator safety training
- NEST has carried over 8’500 patients thus far